View the answers to some of our most Frequently Asked Questions; (click on the titles to reveal content.)
What is MediaEquals?
MediaEquals is a media network that enables media professionals to connect with one another securely, exchange media data in real time and provide a smart way to precisely book, change and cancel media deals.
- Reducing costs of doing business on all sides
- Delivering incremental revenue/sales opportunities
- Providing real time Management Information across departments
- Improving relationships and competitive advantage
What is MediaNetworking?
MediaNetworking is the real time digital exchange of precise media data between media professionals and between buyer and seller system, for every media transaction.
How does MediaNetworking help media owners, sales houses and media buyers?
MediaNetworking ensures that media buyers and media sellers are securely and accurately exchanging media data. This reduces the transaction costs of the booking and reduces errors and other associated costs related to the ad being delivered, trafficked and invoiced correctly.
Historically media IT systems have been reluctant to exchange data with each other. For many media bookings today, the fax machine is still the common transaction tool. Unlike the travel, retail or financial industries, real time exchange of data between a media sales team and their customers is still not common practice. This leaves a wake of manual data entry, errors and a lack of real time management information to optimise yield and advertiser value.
How do we help Media Owners (and Sales Houses)?
Once created on MediaEquals, precise media bookings can be automatically synchronised with your CRM platforms (like Salesforce), updating the live status of every opportunity. We also enable media owners to push audited, accurate booking data directly into finance and production systems ensuring the correct ad is delivered and invoiced as agreed. Without MediaNetworking this process is manual and fraught with errors, with increased transaction costs for everyone involved in the process. For sales teams and sales houses in particular MediaNeworking enables your sales resource to focus on selling rather than ”hand cranking” every booking made and resolving disputes.
- Precise booking data exchanged in real time.
- Integration with your planning and finance systems.
- Reduced admin work on buyer teams.
- Focus staff on higher margin services.
- All media bookings in one place (fixed line, digital and cross media).
- Less staff and management time resolving disputes.
- Plan on up-to-date accurate specs.
- Stay on top of changes in title/publication frequency.
- Connect with sales teams only when needed.
- Real time reporting, data and control of what you are buying by campaign, advertiser, media owner, media and team … 24-7.
- Reduced error rates on copy delivery.
How do we help Media Agencies (and other buyers)?
On the buyer side; we ensure you are always planning with accurate media specs verified by media owners across our network. We enable you to pass bookings in real time with your planning and finance systems (like DDS/MediaOcean). Bookings can also pass directly to a copy management or other downstream service. This ensures the correct ad is sent by the right repro house to the right contact at the right media owner at the right time. Every media plan, booked campaign and briefing is also archived for future use, enabling you to provide continuity of your media data as your account team changes. Finally any booking can be cloned, changed or cancelled in real time across our network and your media booking data is managed in one place for clients so you always have live visibility and absolute control of commitments made by publisher, campaign or buyer team 24/7. Without MediaNetworking this process is manual and fraught with errors that just waste time and add cost for everyone involved in the process.
- Focus staff on selling, not form-filling.
- Dramatically increase accuracy for booking & billing.
- Connect easily with budget holders.
- See who wants to spend money now.
- Integrate with production/billing/inventory systems for reduced keying.
- Salesforce integration keeps CRM up-to-date and accurate.
- Real time reporting, data and control mean fewer invoice queries.
- Precise bookings exchanged in real time.
- All media bookings – (fixed line, digital and cross media).
- Reduced admin load on sales teams.
- Reduced invoice queries mean faster payment.
- Less staff and management time resolving disputes.
- Up to the minute management information on sales.
- Manage yield in real time.
- Easier, faster process is more attractive to buyers.
What media data can I transact through MediaEquals?
Currently you can transact all forms of non broadcast media. This includes all forms of press (newspaper, consumer magazines, tablet, digital, mobile, inserts) and all forms of outdoor media (digital and fixed panels).
This enables buyers, for the first time, to buy cross media deals in one Network.
Some transaction platforms have emerged across TV, Radio and digital media. These are all pure play platforms that cater for a single medium.
As media becomes increasingly complex and fragmented the industry requires a platform that is media agnostic. So whilst our sales focus has been non broadcast, our technology enables any media owner to transact any media with any buyer, anywhere..... Precisely, securely and in real time.
What media is on MediaEquals now?
MediaEquals currently holds:
- 100 regional publishers.
- 1,450 daily, weekly and monthly publications.
- 100% BARB geographical coverage - media from every one of the 14 BARB regions of the UK including the Shetland Times in the North of Scotland to the Falmouth Packet in Cornwall and from the Coleraine Times in Northern Ireland to the Dover Express + 14 Republic of Ireland publishers.
- 83.7% British adults reach – that’s 40 million people!
We are currently working on digital and mobile sites; by early 2013 we will have 1,000+ digital and mobile sites available to book on MediaEquals.
Our outdoor media expertise has been built on the back of winning the London2012 Olympics contract to manage the trading of over 250,000 media assets from 40+ out-of-home media owners and 50+ out-of-home buyers and games sponsors for the London 2012 Olympic Games. We managed over £40 million of electronic transactions, without a single invoice query. As a result of this work we have categorised the entire out of home marketplace, much in the same way Sabre has categorised the airline industry.
How much of the regional press market is on MediaEquals?
The entire UK regional press market is now available to book on MediaEquals.
What is MediaEquals Verified Media?
MediaEquals Verified Media is media that has been verified by the media owner. It means that the media is accurately described on MediaEquals, which provides media buyers with the following:
- Precise bookings – incl. the change and cancel process
- Up to date titles list, sections, specials and pull outs
- Linked media - digital and packages
- Accurate media specifications, positions, copy/sales/publication deadlines
- Correct matched DDS codes, URNs and PO numbers
Can I book Unverified Media on MediaEquals?
Yes, unverified media can be booked on MediaEquals. It just means that the booked media is not yet verified by the media owner, which means that it is more likely that it goes in to a query due to incorrect/incomplete booking information.
What are my options for booking electronically with MediaEquals?
1. MediaEquals Agency/Sales Desktop
MediaEquals provides a free media buying platform that enables media buyers to upload media plans, make new and clone previous bookings, check live status of media, send briefings, provide booking confirmation and issue requests to change and cancel bookings already agreed.
2. MediaEquals API
Some large media agency groups may already be paying for and prefer to stick with their own campaign management platform / DSP. MediaEquals provides most data and transactions services as a web-based API. Fully electronic, online media transactions are ready for those agencies taking first mover advantage.
3. MediaEquals Express
The MediaEquals Express product is for those media buyers that are not using the MediaEquals Agency Desktop. Media sales people can send bookings through the platform, and buyers receive them as a high quality email confirmation and, critically, still maintain the benefits of accurate, secure and audited bookings.
How does MediaEquals Express work?
- A sales professional creates a booking using the usual MediaEquals Sales Platform.
- A full branded email is sent to the buyer with a secure link to the details of the media booking.
- The buyer clicks on a link and sees their booking, fully itemised on a web page. The buyer reviews the booking and clicks 'confirm' or 'reject' with an optional message field.
- The booking is confirmed for both parties to see.
- Even though it was confirmed by email rather than through the Agency Desktop, to the sales team, the booking is no different to any other and can be changed, cancelled, reported on along with all others.
I’ve got multiple legacy systems. There is no point integrating MediaEquals yet as I am changing the legacy systems that manage my back office processes. Should I wait?
Get started without delay! Almost all of our customers are changing legacy systems to improve workflow of production, CRM, finance, etc. MediaEquals delivers you accurate, precise media bookings, in real time, from day one, with no integration required.
You also benefit from live status of sales revenue across your media, sales team, and accounts.
You control the pace on whether and how quickly you want to push these bookings directly into your other business systems. When you’re ready to remove the manually typing of order just connect to the MediaEquals API and pick them up electronically.
MediaEquals ensures continuity for you and your customers in changing times. Media owners may decide to consolidate. Media will change format and frequency. Sales teams may change. All of these changes are reflected in real time to buyers , ensuring its business as usual; planning from accurate media specs and that their transactions go to new sales teams automatically.
Do I need an account?
All users of our Agency Desktop, Sales Platform or APIs need a full MediaEquals account. We operate a secure user sign up process for all electronic bookings. Please call +44 207 121 9000 and ask to speak to our account team.
If you use another sales desktop such as Salesforce to manage the sales process, you may prefer to use MediaEquals within Salesforce using our API. Incoming bookings will appear as new Salesforce opportunities and are created and updated automatically.
Anyone receiving bookings from the Express product need only a regular email account.
Does adopting MediaEquals reduce my sales/buying/planning teams’ importance?
No. Quite the opposite. The time you save transacting your media bookings on MediaEquals enables the skilled people you employ to spend significantly less time on low skilled tasks and admin and substantially more face to face and phone time with each other on what will generate real incremental value for your business.
Too often, the opportunity to do any of this is lost when two organisations get bogged down with changing or administering what was agreed. The transaction element of the deal is the easiest element to automate.
Every penny counts and we are not looking to minimise the importance of firm negotiation in each transaction. However, by automating a proportion pre- and post-sales admin, we believe that more effective, positive and profitable relationships will be developed.
What's more, changing or cancelling bookings is really expensive in time and admin costs. Click a button on MediaEquals instead.
In short, use us to do the tedious elements of your job and allow yourself to have more meaningful conversations, and collaborate better to deliver better media solutions that ultimately deliver clients a better value and a higher business margin for you.
Why is now the right time to use MediaEquals?
As number of media owners have exploded in all markets and all sectors in recent years, it is increasingly difficult for buyers to know what is available and for sellers to have one to one contact with the buyers that matter.
Transaction and administration costs of buying and selling media are simply too high. Too much time is spent cold calling or fielding cold calls, administering deals agreed on the phone and trying to reconcile information from multiple systems that simply are not able to talk to each other.
Running a large sales team or department of buyers is a significant cost that generates diminishing returns each year. We provide your sales team a smart way to find incremental sales, find more time for clients and significantly reduce the amount of time spent administering deals.
Clients and auditors look for year on year improvements in value and accountability from their media spend. Agencies find their profit margins under growing pressure. The ‘transaction’ costs in some media is as high as 50%. Reducing this cost will have a positive impact on everyone’s bottom line profitability and deliver advertisers a significantly better value.
How does MediaEquals make any money?
- All these services, including the Agency Desktop, are free for direct and agency buyers to use.
- We offer a free analysis of how MediaNetworking can increase your profitability. Click here to start this process.
- We charge media owners as follows:
· A small initial set-up fee
· A low minimum monthly transaction fee per company
· 0.35% to 1% transaction fees, depending on volume
· 5% - 10% sales commission for new sales we generate, depending on volume
- We have a highly experienced consulting team if you would like help with your move to electronic media transactions.
How does MediaEquals handle net v gross charges?
We are a facilitator, so the relationships between buyers and sellers will remain as they are currently. We therefore assume that either the existing arrangements on 'gross versus net' continue or are varied by mutual agreement.
This also means that any deals that override the prices struck would apply unless varied by agreement - we do not want to detract from, or even participate in, any special commercial arrangements you may have.
Will extra admin be required to process the deals?
No. MediaEquals significantly reduces the administration traditionally associated with media bookings. We do this, for both buyers and sellers, by integrating with your existing IT systems to ensure there is no duplication of data entry.
For media owners, integration with your order processing systems saves dual entry and frees up time, if you are double entering bookings now or have manual inventory checks then we can save you a lot of time, effort and errors.
MediaEquals is the one-stop-shop for all your current activity including trades, completed deals or options and offers that are outstanding are all available in a completely secure environment that can be accessed only by you. All of your information is held in one place, no scraps of paper or hastily scribbled notes wedged in your daybook.
Change requests and order cancellations are some of the most expensive admin most companies have to deal with. Within the rules set down by a media owner, a booking can be modified with a few mouse clicks.
An electronic 'paper-trail' is permanently stored against every trade, making queries much easier to resolve and changes to bookings already done, much easier to process.
What are the minimum System Requirements to use MediaEquals?
The current minimum browser versions MediaEquals supports are:
- Internet Explorer 8.0
- Firefox 2.0
- Safari 3.0
If you have the above settings and are having difficulty viewing any MediaEquals pages, please click on the 'Contact Us' link. Send us your browser type and version, PC or Mac, and the links or screens you were trying to access.
How do I join?
Joining is free, easy and open to all media owners and all media buyers, both large and small. Simply call us on 0207 121 9000 or click here to join MediaEquals' Network.
Our account team will confirm your registration and set-up your company record. This will also be a good opportunity for you to chat through any questions you may have, and enable us to understand any additional help and support you and your company may need to get the most out of the system.
If you are selling media, you can add your media for sale either line by line, or via our bulk uploader service - the quickest way to upload a lot of content in one go. Our technical team will also be able to assist you to set up a live XML feed on the site that you can update in real time based on inventory you have available.
If you are buying media you can add your clients, brands and campaigns in a matter of minutes.